Herbicide Carryover in Hay, Manure, Compost & Grass Clipping

Antworten
poison ivy

Herbicide Carryover in Hay, Manure, Compost & Grass Clipping

Beitrag von poison ivy » Mo 14. Dez 2015, 18:42

kam eben als Mail von Kumpel, der mich immer mit interessanem Lesestoff versorgt, sei es ein Bericht ueber das lokale Eisenbahnmuseum. den Appalachian Trail oder was zum Thema Gaertnern
ich geb's mal unkommentiert weiter, heue hab ich keine Zeit fuer Mails

Hey,

Stumbled on this while researching whether oak leaves are good to make mulch out of. They are. Apparently some of the commercial broadleaf herbicides are long lasting. Fortunately they aren't allowed in residential use. But that doesn't mean us consumers might not run into them. If you were to use some hay in your yard that they were sprayed on, you could run into problems. Or if the hay was used to make compost, there could be a potential problem. Or even if you use manure from a horse/cow that has been eating the hay. It's safe enough for horses/cows to eat it, but just because it goes in one side and comes out the other, doesn't mean it did anything to the herbicide.

And there's no way to easily test for it. Too expensive. And any of the local sources of manure around here, unless they are growing the hay themselves probably have no idea what may or may not have been sprayed on the hay they are feeding their horses/cows. You could always ask, but it may be hit or miss if they have the slightest clue. And because of the variable sources of hay, it may be safe sometimes and other times not. And here's the big problem, if you by accident use some tainted hay/compost/manure on your garden/flowers, those areas becomes useless for 1-2 yrs except for growing grass. Only thing that would speed up the break down of the herbicides is sun light and moisture. You would just have to keep turning the soil over to expose it to sun light. :-(

The only way to tell if it is safe to grow in again is to "test" it. Which is the only way to tell if any hay/compost/manure you are using is safe. The "test" is to try a sample and see if you can get anything to grow in it. Take some compost/manure and mix it 1:1 or even 2:1 compost/manure to soil, put it in a few pots and see if you can get some peas/beans to sprout/grow in it. If they grow than it's safe. Otherwise the only thing it's good for is growing grass.

I tried growing some pole and bush beans this year. I didn't get a single one to sprout and was puzzled by that. And yet I used the same manure which I got from you in other areas and my tomatoes, corn, mustard, cucumbers "seemed" to do fine. I still have some bean seed left. I'm going to do a test with known good soil, and some of the stuff I mixed the manure in with and see if it was the seed or possibly the manure. I'll let you know what I find out.

And the thing is, you're source of compost/manure may at times be safe and other times not. It all depends on what the horses/cows are eating. And there is no way to tell by looking at it. Just have to try growing something in it. And the penalty for getting it wrong is pretty severe, 1-2 yrs of a ruined garden. Yikes.

So you need to start asking questions about where the manure you are getting is coming from and what the horses/cows are eating. I had never heard of this problem before. And I'm now wondering about the safety of any local sources of manure you or I've found. And the only way to know for sure is a time consuming 2-3 week, try and grow something in it test. And to rule out bad seed, you're going to also have to try the seed in known good soil at the same time. Shish.

For some good news, I had some volunteer tomatoes sprout up over near my compost piles where I was throwing the bad tomatoes. Before the first frost a few weeks ago I potted up two about 1 ft tall ones. One of them now has flowers on it. Maybe with a little luck I might have some ripe tomatoes by the end of January.

Tom

HERBICIDE CARRYOVER IN HAY, MANURE, COMPOST, AND GRASS CLIPPINGS:
Caution to Hay Producers, Livestock Owners, Farmers, and Home Gardeners

Many farmers and home gardeners have reported damage to vegetable and flower crops after applying horse or livestock manure, compost, hay, or grass clippings to the soil. The symptoms reported include poor seed germination; death of young plants; twisted, cupped, and elongated leaves; misshapen fruit; and reduced yields. These symptoms can be caused by other factors, including diseases, insects, and herbicide drift. Another possibility for the source of these crop injuries should also be considered: the presence of certain herbicides in the manure, compost, hay, or grass clippings applied to the soil.
Read the rest (6 page pdf) here, http://content.ces.ncsu.edu/herbicide-carryover
Zuletzt geändert von fuxi am Mi 13. Jan 2016, 14:54, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Grund: CAPSLOCK aus Titel rausgenommen.

Benutzer 4754 gelöscht

Re: HERBICIDE CARRYOVER IN HAY, MANURE, COMPOST, AND GRASS C

Beitrag von Benutzer 4754 gelöscht » Mo 14. Dez 2015, 19:00

So weit mich meine rudimentären Englischkenntnisse dadurch gebracht haben, steht in deinem Text das Tomaten und anderes Gemüse mit Blattdeformationen und eigenartigen Wuchs eingegangen ist, nach dem man es mit (Pferde-) Mist gedüngt hat.
Richtig?

Wenn ja:

Willkommen im Land des Aminopyralids :lol:

Besser bekannt unter dem Namen "Simplex" das ist ein Grünlandherbizid.

Aminoplyralid wirkt, als Wuchsstoff, sehr breit gegen dioktyle Pflanzen und wird von Gräsern bestens vertragen.
Allerdings wird ein Teil des ausgebrachten Wirkstoffs nich abgebaut sondern vom Gras eingelagert/eingebaut.

Durch die Verdauung (im Pferd) und auf dem Misthof wird dann der Wirkstoff wieder frei und damit Wirksam, Kartoffeln, Beta-Rüben und Tomaten reagieren sehr empfindlich auf Aminopyralid.

Ob aminopyralidhaltige PSM bei der Futterherstellung verwendet wurde muss auf dem Lieferschein vom Futter und vom Mist ausgewiesen sein.

Der Link funktioniert bei mir nicht :roll:
Blödes Handy :lol:

Reisende

Beitrag von Reisende » Mo 14. Dez 2015, 19:52

ölkanne, auch wenn wir bzgl psm verschiedene standpunkte haben, möchte ich dir an dieser stelle für deine aufklärungsarbeit danken!
ich werd bei der nächsten heulieferung direkt mal danach fragen. nicht dass ich mir das zeug mit dem schafsmist im herbst in den garten schleppe....

however - ich kann mal wieder gar nicht so viel essen, wie ich kotzen möchte.... :ohoh:
da ich laktose und gluten hervorragend vertrage, leiste ich mir als ausgleich dafür einige intoleranzen im zwischenmenschlichen bereich.

Benutzer 4754 gelöscht

Beitrag von Benutzer 4754 gelöscht » Mo 14. Dez 2015, 20:13

ups, ich rudere mal geschwind zu rück :rot:
http://www.dowagro.com/webapps/lit/lito ... f&pdf=true
Ich hatte einen PDF Datei von vor zwei(?) Jahren.

Mittlerweile darf "Simplex-Futter" gar nicht mehr (offiziel) verkauft werden, genauso wenig Mist und Gülle.

@ Reisende
Guten Appetit :mrgreen:

Benutzer 4754 gelöscht

Beitrag von Benutzer 4754 gelöscht » Mo 14. Dez 2015, 23:29

Wenn dir dein Heulieferant sagt das er seine Wiesen mit
BanvelM (5-6l/ha) sauber hält (oder wenn "nur" Ampfer da ist, mit HarmonySX mit max. 45g/ha) kannst du dir halbwegs sicher sein das es sehr wenig bis keine Giftpflanzen (Hahnenfuß, Ampfer, JKK etc) enthält.
http://www.lfl.bayern.de/mam/cms07/ips/ ... ide_13.pdf

Kosten/Nutzen Verhältnis ist bei Simplex das beste, wäre da nicht der Haken der Rückstände... :hmm:

unkrautaufesserin
Familienstand: glücklich verheiratet

Beitrag von unkrautaufesserin » Fr 18. Dez 2015, 20:32

Hab einen Freund, der dieses Jahr an Mosaikvirus bei seinen Tomaten glaubte... waren aber Rückstände von Unkrautvernichter im Pferdemist. Den hatte er unten in den Kübeln drin.

poison ivy

Beitrag von poison ivy » Sa 19. Dez 2015, 15:41

unkrautaufesserin hat geschrieben:Hab einen Freund, der dieses Jahr an Mosaikvirus bei seinen Tomaten glaubte... waren aber Rückstände von Unkrautvernichter im Pferdemist.
und wie unterscheidest das?

ich hab noch ein Mail von besagem Bekannten bekommen:
"Here's another link to the problem of herbicides in manure, http://ncalternativecropsandorganics.bl ... st-of.html It took 5 weeks for the tomatoes they tested to show damage.

From the dates, apparently this has been a problem for years. First I ever heard about it. I'm going to do a test though, to see if the manure you gave me is why none, nada, not a single one of the pole beans or bush beans came up. I thought it was kind of strange that not even one came up, but thought maybe bad seed or something. Who would have thought it might be because of herbicides.

Didn't really notice anything else being effected. I didn't notice anything in your garden. Maybe you are spreading it out more so if there was a little, it wasn't enough to be a problem. Where I had mixed huge amounts in. We'll see."

Herbizied, das speziell nur nur auf Tom's Stangenbohnen geht? auf meine nicht? auf andere Gemuese auch nicht?
durchaus glaubwuerdig und ineressant, richtig?

unkrautaufesserin

Beitrag von unkrautaufesserin » Di 12. Jan 2016, 20:43

oh, hab lange nicht hier reingelesen :rot:

Er hat Blätter ans Landesinstitut für Pflanzenkrankheiten (Oder so ähnlich, heißt ja in jedem Bundesland anders) eingeschickt, weil Mosaikvirus meldepflichtig ist. Die gaben Entwarnung, hatten aber keinen Rat.

Danach hat er die Erde untersuchen lassen. Das gab den Treffer.

Benutzer 4754 gelöscht

Beitrag von Benutzer 4754 gelöscht » Di 12. Jan 2016, 20:45

Danach hat er die Erde untersuchen lassen. Das gab den Treffer.
Was wurde denn gefunden?

unkrautaufesserin

Beitrag von unkrautaufesserin » Di 12. Jan 2016, 21:10

Simplex, natürlich. Der Pferdewirt gab zu, im Jahr vorher damit Ochsenzungen weggespritzt zu haben...

Wäre es anders gewesen, hätte ich es hier kaum erzählt, oder?

Antworten

Zurück zu „Bodenpflege, Humus, Kompost, Düngung“